Holidays in our family are a big deal. I come from a large Italian family and most holiday dinners are hosted by my Aunt and Uncle and have between 40-60 family members and close family friends. Almost everyone takes on a dish, so its quite a feast.Jump to Recipe
For many years, I have taken on the task of doing dessert for all. Generally that means 3-4 desserts and always one of those desserts is a cheesecake. I have learned over the years that our family loves cheesecake and there is never any left. The great part about this, it that I have become a cheesecake expert and love to come up with new recipes to keep things fresh!
I get my inspiration from reading recipes, and visual mediums like Instagram. Easter though, I’m often inspired by Easter candy and this time out, I was inspired by these Galaxy Caramel eggs.
I was also inspired by a new blog I’ve been following Sweet Relief pastries and her Easter egg Nanaimo bars. So I adapted her crust recipe and then decided I wanted to go the non bake route. So that I could use up a jar of dolce letches I had in my cupboard.
The key to this recipe is that you need to fold in the whipping cream and ideally let it set over night in your refrigerator. The results are worth the effort and bet part is that you never have to deal with a cracked cheesecake.
Since this year our Easter dinner was cancelled (due to the Pandemic), I made this along with a few other desserts, boxed up and delivered to some of my family members, so that at least some Easter treats could be enjoyed. I know Easter has just passed, but if you have any Easter Candy left over – you can whip this up any time. Just be warned – its ridiculously rich and addictive!
Chocolate Caramel CheesecakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Fairly easy
This cheesecake is rich and decadent just like the Galaxy Eggs that inspired it. Make sure you give yourself enough time to chill.
3/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/2 cup Shredded Coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1/2 cup Ground Almonds
(or replace with graham cracker crumbs)
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1-½ cups cold whipping cream
12 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
1 Jar of dolce letches or caramel sauce
Chocolate Easter Candy of Your choice
Remaining Carmel Sauce from filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the base together and press into the bottom of a 8” spring form pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
- Whip the whipping cream till stiff peaks are formed and place in the fridge to keep cool.
- In a mixer (or a bowl with a hand mixer) begin to cream the cream cheese. Once the cream cheese is whipped add ¾ a cup of the caramel sauce and mix well.
- Finally add in the cooled chocolate until combined.
- Remove the bowl and fold in the whipping cream by hand. This can take up to 100 strokes. You want the entire mixture to be combined without losing the air in your whipping cream.
- Pour over your base and refrigerate for 8 hours or over night if possible.
- Once set, use the remaining (up to ½ cup) caramel sauce to decorate the top of your cheese cake. I added the galaxy eggs too!